Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Monte Cristo Recipe

Brunch is one of my favorite meals of the day.  Sausage and Cheese Casserole, cinnamon and nutmeg pancakes, or a yummy Monte Cristo sandwich.  Today I'm going to share our recipe for the delicious Monte Cristo!

It's really the epitome of "brunch" - it's a ham and cheese sandwich, dipped in egg and cooked like french toast.  Perfect.  We especially love to make these when using up leftover ham. Use honey mustard to kick the dish up a notch!


Ingredients

Oatmeal bread
Ham
Swiss cheese
Honey mustard
Eggs
Milk
Maple syrup
Powdered sugar (optional)
Jam (optional)


Directions

Make your sandwich: ham, Swiss cheese and honey mustard.  (You could even add a little mayo if you wanted!)


Whisk together eggs and milk (1 egg per sandwich + generous splash of milk).

Spray frying pan with Pam cooking spray and turn burner on low/medium.

Dip each side of sandwich in egg/milk mixture and place in frying pan.


Cook for 4-6 minutes (or until side is browned) on each side.



Serve immediately with maple syrup, powdered sugar and fruit or jam.


Enjoy!



4 comments:

  1. I never think to order a Monte Cristo, but this looks deeeeelicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With you on this one, Monte Cristo is one of my favourite sandwiches. As you probably already know Monte Cristos usually have sauerkraut on them. Yuck! It's on my "Yucky List". When I order the sandwich I order without the sauerkraut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's on my "yuck" list too - sounds like the fastest way to ruin a Monte Cristo to me!

      Delete