Thursday, December 13, 2012

Hershey Bar Cake

Expanding on our Christmas party menu (see previous blogs for Eggnog Cookies and Bake Brie with Cranberry Sauce), today's blog features the brainchild of a small town in Pennsylvania - Hershey!  Hershey Bar Cake has always been one of my favorites, and since chocolate is a must for any Christmas spread, this is a perfect pick.  I have no idea where this recipe originally came from (aside from my amazing mamma's recipe box), but it's a goodie!



Ingredients

Cake
Swiss Chocolate cake mix (I couldn't find Swiss, so I used a Devil's Food mix)
1 small box instant vanilla pudding
3 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
3/4 c. oil

Icing
8 oz cream cheese
1 cup sugar
Add 1 c. confectioners sugar 
12 oz cool whip
4 grated Hershey bars (frozen)


Directions

Mix together cake mix, instant pudding, eggs, milk and oil.  Bake according to the directions on the cake mix box in three layers.  However, you'll probably need to decrease the baking time - just watch your cakes!


While your cakes are baking, cream sugar and cream cheese.  Then add one cup powdered sugar.




Grate/finely chop Hershey bars.  Fold in whipped cream and chocolate shavings.






Once your cakes have come out of the oven and have cooled completely, start building your cake, icing between each layer.








Refrigerate until it's time to serve.  Set out for 30 minutes before you'll be cutting it!




Enjoy!


15 comments:

  1. This looks really yummy! Howdy, I'm a new follower from the Thirsty Thursday blog hop. Can't wait to try a recipe or two out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful and the directions are great! Sure wish I had a slice of your cake right now. :-)

    What are the cute kabob things in the background of your picture. They look really festive!

    Thanks for sharing! Reia from www.southcountrysides.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The kabobs are an edible arrangement I made - that blog will be coming next week!! :)

      Delete
  3. Just made this cake so so easy and so good.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it, though? It's one of my favorites.

      Delete
    2. We had a fund raiser at church for my husband that has brain cancer, each cake was $110.00. People loved the cakes...

      Delete
    3. That's fantastic. Glad it helped raise some money for your husband. I'll say a prayer for him - hoping things look up for you all.

      Delete
  4. This cake is fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! My family, friends and co-workers beg for this all of the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful recipie. The cake is so moist. My 9 year old loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made these to bring to my daughters last day of preschool and I just had to test it. It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is definitely something my kids will devour. They love chocolate, especially in a cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this cake last year for our church. First bidder was $300, donated it back. Second bidder paid $300 and they donated it back. Third and final paid $100.. this cake brought $700. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What size Hershey bars?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where did the third layer come from? Shows three layers in final cake, but only two in the oven and no mention of it or splitting, then there would be four. Please explain, want to make

    ReplyDelete