Friday, August 30, 2013

Baked Plantain Chips

A few months ago I had my first taste of Plantain Chips, when NatureBox sent me some snacks to review.  I loved having them at the house so I could munch on something (yummy and healthy) while I was cooking dinner and was sad to finish off the bag.

Last weekend I decided it was time for some more chips, so I purchased several plantains, grabbed my trusty mandolin, and got to work!  These chips are super crispy, just salty enough, and only use three ingredients.  They're also 1,000 times (maybe I'm exaggerating...) healthier than regular chips, so you don't have to feel bad while enjoying them.

I decided to make chips out of 5 plantains so we'd have some for a while.  By the end of the cooking process, we only had 4 plantains-worth left.  :)

Tip - use plantains that are more green than ripe - they hold up better during the slicing/flipping stage!



Ingredients
1 plantain
1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
Salt

Directions
Using a mandolin, thinly slice each plantain.  (Be careful of your fingers!)  Transfer sliced plantains to a bowl and cover with 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil.

Lay plantain chips in a single layer on a Silpat mat.  Sprinkle with salt.

Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until edges brown, flipping plantain chips over halfway through.  If your plantains are thicker, they will take longer to bake.

Transfer to a plate and let cool.  Store in an airtight container when not snacking!  They last for just a few days, so eat up!

for fantastic recipes, cake how-to's, and diy projects!



5 comments:

  1. Well these went better than my banana chips hahah! They look delish... and also I can clearly see that the silpat mat is better than foil haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum I could really use some of these chips right now.

    xx Del

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just last night we made the Cuban fried version of these...a low-calorie version is certainly a good thing to have! The fried are delicious; I surely want to try these! Thanks~ ~Zuni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yum - cuban fried....yes please!! These are great - let me know if you try them!

      Delete

  4. Slots, online games, mobile slots, top-up-withdrawals via automatic system, 24 hours service, 100% stable and safe. pgslot เว็บตรง

    ReplyDelete