Monday, May 20, 2013

The Perfect Taco Salad

Last week I was chatting with my sister-in-law Sarah, and she told me she and her boyfriend had been enjoying making taco salads lately.  Taco salads are one of my favorite things to get at a Mexican restaurant (that and chicken chimichangas...mmmmm), but I've never thought to make one at home.  After our conversation, I was inspired to make my own!

It was tasty, filling, packed full of veggies...and should be added to your dinner routine STAT.  Even better, since everyone gets their own, you can specialize them to their taste.  Love salsa? Double yours!  Hate tomatoes? Skip 'em!



Ingredients
2 pounds ground turkey
1 large onion
1 pepper (I used yellow)
8 ounces mushrooms
3/4 cup Taco seasoning
1-1.5 cups water
Refried Beans (1/2 cup per salad)
Shredded Lettuce (2 cups per salad)
Broccoli Slaw (1/4- 1/2 cup per salad)
Tomato, chopped
Shredded cheese
Salsa, Guacamole, Sour Cream etc
Garlic Powder
Olive Oil
Salt

Directions

Heat can of refried beans in a small pan.  Mix in some garlic powder and taco seasoning to give it a little extra flair.  Then make your taco meat.  We packed ours full of veggies.  The below makes about 6 cups.



1 - Chop your onion and pepper into small pieces and sauté in olive oil and salt.
2 - Brown ground turkey, strain, and return to pan.  Put mushrooms into food processor and pulse until they're fine.  Then add them to the turkey.
3 - Add in your sauteed onion and pepper.
4 - Add 3/4 cup taco seasoning and 1-1.5 cups water.

(The mushroom trick is one of my favorites we've been doing for a long time - it's a great way to lighten up ground beef!)

Now it's time to layer your taco salad!  I decided to use a deeper bowl so I could move things around easily, but this also works well in a soup bowl.  It's kind of fun if the bowl is clear so you can see the pretty layers!




Here's the salad I made, from bottom to top:

2 cups shredded lettuce
1/4 cup broccoli slaw (give is a crunch!)
1 small tomato, sliced
1/2 cup refried beans
1 cup taco meat mixture
1/4 cup shredded cheese
1 Tablespoon sour cream

Travis added a layer of salsa, but you could also add guacamole, olives...or anything else your heart desires!

Travis also crumbled up some chips on top of his salad - everyone can do their own thing AND enjoy the same dinner!



YUM.

What are your favorite taco toppings?


8 comments:

  1. I LOVE your addition of broccoli slaw! I will have to try making a vegetarian version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great addition! Let me know how yours turns out!

      Delete
  2. I'll have to...taco 'bout this with Terence! LOL! Nacho average salad! Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just ate tacos tonight at our house :) My favorite toppings are avocado and sour cream! We'll try the salad version soon - it's like a taco parfait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing. I will be featuring this tonight at my Swing into Spring party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks. http://diybydesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want have to know more and more, on your blog just interesting and useful information.

    Mica
    Reviews Plenty of Fish

    ReplyDelete